Reasons to choose wire edm services
WHAT IS WIRE EDM?
Wire Electrical Discharge Machining (Wire EDM for short) can be used where a feature would be difficult or otherwise impossible to achieve using conventional methods, for example, small slot generation, square corners, and complex geometry shapes. The process can be used on hard materials and allows a greater degree of positional accuracy. This is due to the machine having next to zero cut force which allows the use of linear motors as opposed to conventional ball screws.
WIRE EDM METHOD
Wire EDM is a process whereby a thin wire is used as an electrode to cut along a programmed path. The workpiece is submerged in a dielectric fluid (which increases the water’s resistivity) allowing for the generation of an arc at the wire, which in turn disintegrates the workpiece. The machine uses a spool of wire that moves continuously to offer a fresh section of wire throughout the cutting process, this results in an incredibly repeatable process.
ADVANTAGES OF WIRE EDM
The advantages of Wire EDM include:
- Excellent surface finish
- High degree of accuracy
- Allows machining of features that would be very difficult or impossible using conventional machining methods
- Suitable for hardened and exotic materials (Conductive only)
- Wire can be threaded through a pre-existing pilot hole to allow access to internal features
DISADVANTAGES OF WIRE EDM
The disadvantages of Wire EDM include:
- The wire must pass through the entire part which means this process is not suitable for ‘blind-hole’ applications
- The process can be time-consuming depending on the amount of material to be removed
- Brass deposits can be found on the part post-machining
- The tighter the tolerance the more cuts required to hold – Each pass results in additional processing time
PCML’S WIRE EDM SERVICES
Here at PCML, we offer the following Wire EDM services:
- We have invested in four CNC Wire EDMs offering a 0.05mm – 3.0mm electrode diameter and a maximum taper angle of ±20° (generated using U and V Axis).
- Sodick AG600L – X600 x Y400 x Z350
- Sodick AQ325L – X325 x Y250 x Z200
- Excetek V350G – X350 x Y250 x Z220
- Excetek V650G – X605 x Y400 x Z350
- K1C Hole Driller – used for putting in start holes for WEDM, drilling exotic materials, angular drilling and removing broken tooling to a maximum hole depth of 200mm (Styluses range from 0.25 – 3.0mm) PCML current styluses 0.3, 0.6, 0.8, 1.2, 1.5, 2.0, 2.4, 3.0mm
These machines can work with parts weighing up to 1,000Kg. Our highly qualified team of engineers manage each and every job through to ensure all parts are delivered to the exacting standard expected by the PCML Group and our customers alike.
Fill in our contact form or call 01223 293904 to start your project with us today.